Spring is a great time to take proactive steps to maintain the value of your property. In this month’s blog, c4u Home Inspections offers advice and guidance needed to ensure that your property remains in tip-top condition.
Here are 14 tips for spring maintenance that will help keep your property in peak condition:
- Clean out your gutters. As the weather warms up, debris and leaves will start to accumulate in your gutters. Make sure to clear them out regularly to prevent clogs from forming and avoid potential water damage. Also ensure that they are properly draining away from your home.
- Inspect for pests. Spring is a great time to look for signs of pests such as termites or ants that may have made their way into your home.
- Examine your roof. If your roof is leaking, spring is the time to get it looked at and repaired before the rains come in and cause further damage. Inspect roofing materials for damage or wear and tear, and repair any leaks or weak spots. (Note: If you have concerns about your roof, c4u Home Inspections offers separate roof inspections to assess its condition. Many home insurance companies now ask for regular roof inspections as part of their insurance process – we can help you with those!)
- Check your foundation. c4u Home Inspections can also perform a detailed examination of the foundation of your property to make sure that everything is structurally sound and in good condition.
- Test your sprinklers and irrigation system. If you need a professional book one now! They get very busy in the Okanagan once spring is in the air!
- Prune your trees and shrubs. Trimming back overgrown plants is important for curb appeal, as well as to keep them healthy.
- Check your weatherstripping. Replace if needed around windows/doors to reduce energy costs & improve comfort level inside your home.
- Test for Indoor Safety. Test smoke detectors & carbon monoxide detectors throughout the home.
- Inspect your HVAC system. Ensure your seasonal comfort with a comprehensive inspection of your HVAC system to identify any potential problems or areas of concern. Change your furnace filter regularly to maintain good air quality in your home. (Note: if you’re worried about mold, which can also can affect the air quality of your home, c4u Inspections does air sampling inspections which can easily establish whether or not there is a problem! See our website for details.)
- Check your outdoor lighting. Make sure all outdoor lighting fixtures are in proper working condition to ensure safety around your property.
- Mind the Gaps. Check for cracks or gaps around doors and windows where pests could enter or cold air could escape from your home.
- Clean window screens. Give them a thorough spring cleaning and replace them if they are torn or damaged.
- Clear up seasonal debris. Clear away any debris from pathways or driveways to prevent tripping hazards inside or outside of your property.
- Inspect your paved areas. Check for cracks in driveways, patios or walkways around the exterior of your home and have them repaired if needed.
Working through this list can help to ensure that your property stays in top condition and maintains its value for the future - something every homeowner wants!
Whether buying, selling or simply maintaining your investment, c4u Home Inspections can provide you with the advice and guidance you need to keep your property in peak condition. Contact us today to learn more about our services!