As the weather starts to get colder, it’s time to start thinking about cozy evenings by the fireplace. But before you light those logs, it’s important to make sure your fireplace is properly maintained and safe for use.
Here are some tips from c4u Inspections Ltd. on how to keep your fireplace in top condition and ensure a warm and safe home during the upcoming autumn/winter season.
A WETT-certified professional can assess the overall safety of your wood-burning appliance, checking for any potential hazards such as cracks in the chimney or buildup of creosote. This will not only give you peace of mind, but also save you from any costly repairs in the future.
(Remember, WETT does not certify appliances or installations; their members provide inspection reports, not WETT certificates. It's important to note that WETT certifies individuals, not companies. So, when contacting companies, make sure to specify that you are looking for a WETT-certified individual to complete the work on your behalf.)
Ensure that the area around your fireplace is clear of any debris or flammable materials. This includes rugs, furniture, and other household items that may be too close to the fireplace. It’s important to maintain at least a three-foot clearance around the fireplace to prevent any accidental fires.
Inspect your fireplace for any damaged or missing parts such as screens, doors, and vents. These are important safety features that help contain sparks and prevent debris from escaping the fireplace. If you notice any issues, be sure to repair or replace them before using the fireplace.
A buildup of ashes and soot can not only impact the efficiency of your fireplace, but also pose a fire hazard. Ensure to regularly remove these from your fireplace to prevent any potential issues.
Using properly seasoned wood is important for both safety and efficiency when using your fireplace. Green or wet wood can cause excessive smoke and creosote buildup, increasing the risk of chimney fires. Make sure to only use dry and well-seasoned wood for your fireplace.
It’s always better to be safe than sorry, so make sure you have a fire extinguisher nearby when using your fireplace. This will come in handy in case of any accidental fires or sparks.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can be emitted from your fireplace. It’s important to install a carbon monoxide detector in the room where the fireplace is located to ensure the safety of you and your family.
Never leave your fireplace unattended, especially if there are children or pets in the house. It only takes a few minutes for a small spark to turn into a full-blown fire, so make sure someone is always keeping an eye on the fireplace.
Properly extinguishing the fire in your fireplace is essential for safety and preventing any potential hazards. Use a metal shovel to push the logs and embers far back into the fireplace, ensuring they are completely extinguished before closing the damper.
Regular maintenance checkups by a professional can help ensure your fireplace is functioning properly and safely. They can also clean and inspect the chimney for any potential hazards or buildup.
Remember, a well-maintained fireplace not only keeps you warm, but also ensures the safety of your home and loved ones. So get ready to light those logs, grab a hot cup of cocoa, and relax by the warm glow of your fireplace, all while staying cozy and safe with these helpful tips from c4u Inspections Ltd.!
If you are buying a new home, or commercial property, let c4u Inspections Ltd help you with your inspection needs!